Friday, August 06, 2004

SO, HOW DID I GET HERE?

Earlier this year, I was doing my BSE (Breast self-examination), and I found a lump. It really didn't concern me since I have lumpy-booby disease (AKA Fibrocystic disease) and I've had a biopsy before that turned out to be nothing. I decided to wait until my yearly examination with my gyno.

When I met with my gynecologist, she referred my to my surgeon, Dr. Cannon, to have it checked out. He suggested that I get an ultrasound. The radiologist said that it looked benign and that I shouldn't worry since I'm so young. (For those of you that don't know me, I am 25).

I met with Dr. Cannon after the ultrasound. The final report from the radiologist said that my suspicious lump was "definitely as cyst." Dr. Cannon decided to do a needle biopsy (Ouch!) just to make sure it was a fluid-filled cyst. Well, it wasn't. He did capture some tissue during the needle biopsy, and had it sent to the pathologist for testing. It turned out that they found "atypical cells," and that I needed to have surgery to have it removed.

As I slowly awoke from the wonderful drugs (undoubtedly the best part about surgery), I saw the blue blur of Dr. Cannon next to me. He told be that I had breast cancer. I responded with, "OK, great. Thank you so much" (drugs talking). I remember feeling like I wanted to cry but I didn't because I was still hoping that it was a drug-induced dream. When they rolled me into the recovery room, and I saw everyone's faces, I knew it wasn't a dream.

That was a month ago, and since then, I've had another surgery to remove and check my lymph nodes. Just 2 out of 21 had cancer in it. Next week I have a number of tests before I can start chemotherapy.

Again, welcome to my blog. I hope that my friends and family with use this blog to track my progress. And, I hope that other women with breast cancer will use this blog as a resource and much-needed comic relief. Enjoy and check back!

7 comments:

Legal Bitch said...

If anything, your story should be a message to all young women to do your BSE on a regular basis. Check those boobies, girls, I do!

And girl, all your friends and family are here for you and we love and support you. I'm proud of you for doing this blog - keep it going!

Sarah said...

Thanks, Legal bitch! We cannot stress the importance of BSE both for ladies and gentlemen (Check your balls, boys!). And, everyone, thanks you for support!

cheekdog said...

wow! you've certainly scared me right into getting to know my lumpy boobs better! i never really check them because they are so damned lumpy and bumpy and i can never tell what's what. i'm also still under 30 in my head (i'm actually 34) which isn't supposed to be an age you don't get cancer but SHIT!!!! my best friend is 52 and she is now 1 year clear of booby cancer. but she's 52. so THANK YOU for posting - i will definitely be back to check on your progress!!! lots of love and light and prayers to you in this process!!! come visit my blog sometime for a laugh :)

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

It is so good to hear you are so upbeat. That will take you a long ways. After losing my child this year I know that you have a lot to be grateful for and so does your family. Early detection is the key and you are so lucky to have had the knowledge and the smarts to go to the doctor when you did.

I wish you the best and keep your smile and your positive outlook. Always know that the good Lord will take care of you.
Best Wishes,
From a Breast Cancer Family

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
Hey there. I just got to your site for the first time...as always you are so funny and upbeat.

Call me and I am coming to athens before jan. 6.
Actually, I will call you!
I hope you are feeling well and soon you will have two new toys (Jan. 5th)!
Love, Aaron

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I just recognized your face in the Flagpole...I know we didn't know each other well, but I went to high school with you. I guess it takes a familiar face sometimes to take your own health seriously. I wanted to thank you for being mine. I'll be doing my BSE from now on! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
It was good to read about someone else my age going through this. I'm 23 and am about to start all this testing stuff too. Its totally unreal. Good luck with everything and please do keep it up :)